The French Institute for Oriental Archeology (IFAO) and the Dominican Institute for Oriental Studies (IDEO) are partnering to fund a 10-month pre-doctoral or doctoral scholarship from September 1ˢᵗ to June 30ᵗʰ, 2024. This scholarship includes accommodation at IDEO and two hours of private Arabic classes per day, five days a week, during this period.
The scholarship is in one of the research fields supported by the IDEO’s members in Cairo and also studied at the IFAO, and should allow to work on a classical Arabic corpus: philosophy, Islamic theology or grammar and linguistics. The selected candidate will receive a monthly amount of 750 €, plus accommodation at IDEO and Arabic lessons. She or he must be enrolled in a French university. She or he must already be covered by a social security and health plan including repatriation assistance.
The purpose of this scholarship is to help its beneficiary to constitute a corpus as part of the doctorate and to strengthen her or his linguistic skills in classical Arabic. A candidate who is not yet enrolled in a doctoral program should take advantage of this year to apply for a doctoral contract from her or his university, from the network of French schools abroad, or for international mobility from the INSHS.
At the time of submitting application, the candidate must hold at least a Master 1 Degree in one of the fields mentioned above. There are three possible cases:
- the candidate is enrolled in a Master 2 program, the scholarship is conditional upon proof of obtaining the Master 2 degree when arrival to Egypt.
- the candidate holds a Master 2, the scholarship year can be a break between the Master and the doctorate.
- the candidate is already enrolled in a doctoral program, the scholarship year can be a break in a doctoral contract or be integrated into an ongoing doctoral program without a contract.
- She or he must have sufficient knowledge of Arabic equivalent to a European B1 level.
The application should be sent by email before April 30ᵗʰ, 2023, to the following email address
The application file will include:
- A research project justifying the candidate’s motivation and the way in which she or he adds this scholarship to her or his curriculum (4,000 characters maximum).
- A shortened CV.
- A written production (M1 or M2 thesis, doctoral project, master validation assignment including a bibliography).
- A recommendation letter from two instructors (one for the research field, the other one for the language). These recommendation letters should focus in particular on the way in which the scholarship fits into the curriculum and the ability of the candidate to make progress in Arabic.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome by the end of May 2023.